Monday, November 26, 2007

Tyranny of the truly insane

So I was looking at some computerized "What kind of politics do you believe in?" matrix on a motorcycle racing bulletin board and realized that, as always, Dilbert was right.

Reality is controlled by the most insane.

It's no longer about appealing to the majority. It's about appeasing the minority who have wrapped their little hard-wired brains around one core idea so tightly that they see the world through that filter only. Vote against my interests, I'll probably never know. I'm trying to earn a living. Worst thing'll happen is that I'll just ignore you and maybe vote for your opponent. But vote against their interests and they spend every last waking moment of their lives trying to destroy you, your family, your career. They'll spread innuendo about the orientation of your dog. Who are you going to cross, me or them?

And does it matter how many of each there are? A single true-believing "Them" can cause a politician or anyone else far more grief than a thousand busy-with-real-life "Me"-type characters.

It always works that way. An NFL-size team of loons decides to blow up some buildings in the U.S., and hundreds of millions in greatest nation in the history of history are reduced to shuffling shoeless through the airport, clutching their laptop computers, sphincters stretched out, yet grateful that the customs officer was so dedicated to making sure the bomb wasn't up there.

It's not about those of us who can see things from multiple points of view, consider multiple interests. It's about those of us whose entire lives revolve around making one thing happen - and who are willing to sacrifice personally to make that one thing happen.

Look, I'm all about dedication and hard work. I'm just not going to hold the rest of the country hostage to my political, religious, social and sexual views. And that puts me at a political disadvantage to those who will spend their weekends locked to their computers, firing off anti-whoever rhetoric into the electronic ether, and chain-calling congressional offices to make sure their views are heard and the consequences of crossing them clear.

So I'm penalized for having a life. A bit disenchanted? You could fuckin' say so. I guess there's another presidential campaign going on. I'll just say it right now - I'm voting for the guy with the widest stance. Ah, democracy ...



-- posted for M

No comments: