Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Giftmas Card Tale

So gift cards get a bad rap; they're the easy way out, they show no thought, etc., etc. Sit down, boys and girls, and let me tell you a tale.

For those of us who live without credit cards, December can be a bit tight. School's out, so the income slows down a bit; there's gifts, licenses for next year's race program, etc. My wife said a few days ago, "You know, I'm passing by Starbucks nowadays, because when I want to drop in and buy something, I keep thinking about what I could do with that couple of dollars, and I just drive by."

So this morning, when she opened her gifts, among them was a gift card for Starbucks. I said, "We may not be rich, I promise you we'll never be so poor that you can't afford coffee."

The tears streaming down her face were all the confirmation I needed that the gift card was exactly the right gift.

Happy Holidays.

No comments: